Ever wonder what goes into getting your floors polished and buffed? You’ve got questions; we’ve got answers. As professional floor polishers, we get asked many of the same questions from customers. So, we compiled a handy list of the top 10 FAQs about floor polishing Geelong services to help explain the process and set your mind at ease.
From how long it takes to how to prepare to the difference between polishing and waxing, we’ve got you covered.
When we’re done buffing and polishing your floors, they’ll shine like new. Ready to get your floors gleaming? Read on to get the inside scoop from the pros.
1. What Is Floor Polishing?
Floor polishing is buffing and coating hard floor surfaces like wood, tile, stone and concrete to restore and protect their shine. Floor polishing restores and protects hard floors by buffing away scratches and imperfections and applying protective coatings for a durable, high-gloss finish. With the proper technique and products, polishing your floors can make a difference in their appearance and longevity.
2. Why Hire Professional Floor Polishing Services?
Professional floor polishing services have the proper experience, equipment, and products to make your floors shine like new. DIY floor polishing often doesn’t provide the deep clean and high-gloss finish of a pro. Here are a few reasons to hire a professional floor-polishing company:
- They’re trained and certified. Professional floor polishers go through extensive training to become certified and licensed.
- They have high-quality equipment. Professional floor polishing Geelong companies like ours invest in commercial-grade buffing pads, floor polish for wooden floors and other floors, and sanders to make floors ultra-smooth and glossy.
- They use professional-grade products. Professional polishes, waxes, and sealants provide superior protection and shine compared to consumer products.
- They do a deep, intensive clean first. Before polishing, professionals thoroughly clean, degrease, and strip floors to remove built-up grime and residue. This deep clean provides the ideal surface for the polishing products to adhere to, resulting in better protection and shine.
- They have an eye for detail. Professional floor polishers Melbourne are meticulous in their work. They buff and polish floors evenly using multiple passes to achieve a smooth, streak-free finish. They also scrub and polish along edges and corners where dirt typically builds up.
- They protect surrounding surfaces. Professionals know how to properly mask and shield baseboards, trim, and adjacent flooring from splatter and overspray. They work carefully around edges and seams to avoid damage to the floor or surrounding surfaces.
- They provide ongoing maintenance. Many professional floor polishing companies offer maintenance plans to keep floors looking their best. Regular professional polishing, buffing, and re-sealing help extend the life of the flooring and keep high-traffic commercial floors always looking clean and glossy.
3. What Types of Floors Can Be Professionally Polished?
Regarding professional floor polishing services, many floors can benefit from a fresh coat of polish or wax. The most common floors that can be polished protect many of the most popular flooring types, including wood, tile, stone, concrete, and linoleum. Polishing and sealing your floors is a great way to keep them looking their best while guarding against damage and wear over time.
4. How Much Does Professional Floor Polishing Cost?
Professional floor polishing Geelong services typically charge between $3 to $10 per square foot, depending on the size of the job and the condition of your floors. The national average cost is $6 per square foot. So you can expect to pay:
- $1,500 to $5,000 for a 500 square foot space
- $3,000 to $10,000 for a 1,000 square foot space
- $6,000 to $20,000 for a 2,000 square foot space
Several factors determine the total cost:
The type of flooring material – Hardwood, stone, tile and linoleum costs more to polish than carpet or concrete. Exotic or high-end floors like marble typically start around $8 to $10 per square foot.
Depending on the square footage and the number of coats required, the floor polishing process typically takes 1 to 3 days for a residential space. Polishing commercial floors or an entire building can take several days to a week.
5. How Do I Find the Best Floor Polishing Company Near Me?
Finding a reputable floor polishing service in your area does not have to be complicated. Here are some tips to help you locate the best company for the job:
Check Online Reviews
One of the best ways to gauge the quality and reputation of a floor polishing Geelong company is to read online reviews from their previous customers. Look for “floor polishing near me” with mostly positive reviews mentioning quality work, fair prices, and excellent customer service.
Once you have some top candidates based on reviews, contact them to schedule a free consultation and estimate. Get estimates from at least three companies so you can compare. Ask them about their experience, credentials, products used, timeline, and total cost.
Ask for References
Don’t hesitate to ask floor polishing companies for references from previous clients. Speaking with actual customers who have had their floors polished by the company is one of the best ways to gauge the quality of work and overall satisfaction. Ask the references about their experience, if the job was completed on time and within budget, and if they were happy with the results.
Check Qualifications and Insurance
Choose a floor polishing company that is appropriately qualified and insured. They should employ technicians with training and certification in floor polishing methods and the proper use of chemicals and equipment.
Consider Your Flooring Type
Ensure the company you hire has experience with your specific flooring material, like stone, concrete, wood, vinyl, or tile. An experienced company will know the proper methods and tools for polishing and protecting your floors.
By following these tips, you can find a reputable floor polishing company to buff, wax and shine your floors.
6. What’s the difference between polishing and buffing?
Polishing and buffing are two methods to improve the appearance and shine of hard floor surfaces like wood, stone, tile, and linoleum. While the terms are often used interchangeably, some key differences of floor polishing vs buffing service.
While polishing and buffing are two separate processes, they are sometimes used together. A floor may first be buffed to create an even, smooth surface. Then, protective coatings and polishes are applied on the buffed floor to create a durable, high-gloss finish.
Whether you need a floor polished, buffed, or both depends on the type of flooring and the level of protection and shine you want to achieve. Professional floor care services can evaluate your floors and recommend the best approach to polishing, floor buffing, or combining the two.
7. How long does floor polishing take?
Floor polishing typically takes several hours to complete, depending on the size of the area. You can expect the polishing process to last 6-8 hours for a standard residential home. Commercial spaces will take longer for more significant buildings, up to 2-3 days.
8. Do I need to move furniture?
Do I need to move furniture? To get the best results from floor polishing services, moving as much furniture and decor out of the rooms as possible is best. This allows the polishing technicians complete access to all areas of the flooring so they can do a complete, high-quality job.
Moving furniture yourself beforehand requires some work, but it will make the actual polishing process quicker and ensure an even finish with no missed spots or uneven areas. The polishing technicians can then focus their time and efforts solely on polishing and buffing your floors to a beautiful shine. They won’t have to spend time navigating around chairs, tables, rugs and the like.
If moving more significant pieces of furniture is difficult for you, discuss this with the floor polishing company beforehand. Many offer full-service options where they will move basic furniture and items themselves as part of the overall floor polishing package. After polishing, they can return all items to their original places. For an additional fee, some companies also offer packing and unpacking of entire rooms if you need to clear an area completely.
9. How often should I get my floors polished?
This is one of the most common questions about floor polishing services. The answer depends on several factors like most residential floor types with typical use, getting your floors polished by a professional every 6-12 months is a good rule of thumb to keep them looking beautiful and well-protected. Be sure to also implement a regular cleaning routine and take measures to prevent damage between polishing services. Keeping your floors in tip-top shape will allow you to enjoy them fully for years!
10. What is the Difference between Water-Based vs. Solvent-Based Polish
Water-based and solvent-based polishes are the most common types of hardwood floor polish used on hardwood floors, but they differ in their chemical makeup and how they protect floors.
Water-based polishes, called acrylic polishes, use water as the primary solvent. They typically contain acrylic polymers and wax that protect as the water evaporates.
Meanwhile, solvent-based polishes use organic solvents such as lacquer thinner or acetone as the primary solvent. They contain natural oils like tung or linseed that harden to form a protective coating.
Ultimately, choosing water-based and solvent-based polish depends on your specific needs and priorities.
That covers people’s most common questions about professional floor polishing Geelong services. As you can see, floor polishing might seem straightforward, but many details are involved in getting that perfect, shiny, glossy floor you’re after. The key is to connect with Timber Floor Sanding Melbourne as we use high-quality products, have experienced technicians, and provide a thorough consultation to understand your needs. With our right crew on the job, you’ll have floors that truly become the focal point of your home or business. So ask your questions and get ready to see your floors transform before your eyes. Your space and your feet will thank you!